What is the Most Popular Garage Door Size?
Whether you are constructing or renovating your home, you must get the right garage door. A good garage door will enhance your home’s safety and make it easy to get into your garage. There are three kinds of garage doors, single, double, and commercial garage doors. Commercial garage doors include garage door sizes for your shop, but you can choose double or single garage doors depending on your needs.
Standard garage door sizes
There are several garage door sizes available in the market today. However, it is essential to consider what you will use your garage for before choosing the door size. That is because your garage door must accommodate the size of the vehicle, for instance, that you plan to put in there. So, check out the following standard garage door sizes.
Single garage door sizes
Single garage doors are used on garages that can only accommodate one vehicle. These doors are best for standard-sized cars, trucks, vans, or SUVs. They come in different sizes, but the standard design is 8 feet in height. Here are some of the standard single garage door sizes that you can use for your home.
- 9×7 feet
- 8×7 feet
Double garage door sizes
If you have an oversized garage and intend to park two vehicles, you will need a large garage door. You may also want to use the extra space as a workshop. These doors are 7 or 8 feet high and 16 or 18feet wide. Here are some size options you can consider for your space.
- 16×7 feet
- 12x 8feet
- 16×8 feet
RV garage door sizes
You can also purchase oversized doors if you intend to park several large vehicles such as RVs. They measure 10, 12, or 14 feet in width and height. The more RVs you need to store, the larger the door you should choose.
Custom garage door sizes
You can choose to get custom-size doors for your garage. Several manufacturers will build garage doors to your specifications at a higher price. Make sure that you take your time thinking about your needs and the size of your garage before choosing the right garage door.
Commercial garage door sizes
Commercial garage door sizes differ depending on the type of door you intend to install. Find the standard garage door sizes below.
- Commercial overhead doors are available in a standard size of 32 feet wide by 24 feet high.
- Commercial Roll-up doors come in a standard size of 30 feet wide by 28 feet tall.
- Insulated commercial doors measure 30 feet wide by 24 feet high.
Is an 8-foot garage door wide enough?
Yes, an 8 foot is wide enough for a single garage door. It allows you to use your garage to park one standard-sized vehicle. However, if you intend to park a larger car, an 8-foot wide door is not large enough.
How do I choose a garage door size?
It is essential to take your time choosing a garage door size for your house. Consider the following when picking a garage door.
The size of the door opening
Make sure that you consider the size of the door opening when choosing a garage door size. If you pick a door bigger or smaller than your door opening, you will not be able to use it.
The purpose of the garage
What you plan to use the garage for is another consideration when picking the garage door size. For example, you will need more oversized doors if you have a two-car garage or an RV garage.
To get the right door size, you will need to make measurements. Follow these steps to do that.
- Start by taking the width and height measurements of your door opening, also known as the rough opening.
- Next, measure the space on the right and left of the door opening. That is necessary for a vertical track system which requires about 3.75 inches. Remember that some garage opener designs require up to 5.5 inches of space.
- Then measure the area between the ceiling and the opening, which is called the headroom. Remember, standard garage door openers require between 12 and 15 inches of headroom.
- Finally, measure the distance between the door opening and the back wall of the garage. The backroom should be equal to the height of the door opening plus 18 inches. You may need a large backroom depending on the type of opener you intend to use.
What are the pros and cons of a wide garage door size?
- They are easy to access even for new drivers in your family.
- With a wide door, you can purchase a large vehicle in the future. That is because you can park a large truck in the space.
- The doors are heavy and include expensive components. Due to the weight, they also tend to wear out faster than smaller doors.
- They require frequent maintenance. Even if you have strong door openers and springs, you will need to inspect them often and make repairs.
- Due to the large opening, they offer limited garage insulation. As a result, every time you open the door, you lose significant amounts of heat.
Check this too: What is the Best Way to Insulate a Garage Door?
What are the pros and cons of custom garage door sizes?
- Custom doors ensure that you get various sizes and are not restricted to garage doors available at the store.
- You can choose your design material instead of going with only what is in the store.
- The manufacturers make the doors to cater to your individual needs.
- Custom doors cost more than regular doors.
- Your supplier will take longer to deliver as they will need to make the garage door.