Sideways Garage Doors & Opener: Is it Any Better?
Picking a suitable garage door opener is an essential consideration for every homeowner. You must choose one that works for your house, and that you like. Garage doors come in several types; side hinged garage doors, sliding doors, and overhead doors. Side-hinged garage doors open in the same way your front door does and have hinges on one side. You have to open yourself as they are not automated. Sliding doors have a mechanism that slides them against your wall while overhead doors fold or slide into the roof to open.
Examples of overhead doors include sectional garage doors, which are the most common in homes and are made of panels connected with hinges. When the door opens, wheels on the panel roll inside a vertical track on both sides of the garage door. You can also choose a roll-up or tilt-up door. Several designs for sliding garage doors are available, but they all rely on a track next to your wall. Sliding doors are newer and not as popular as overhead.
Overhead Garage Door Openers
Overhead garage door openers rely on a rail mounted on your ceiling that the door slides on to when it opens. Bear in mind that when buying the garage door opener, you need to consider the weight of your door. The garage door opener should be able to lift the door when you turn it on without getting damaged. To install a new garage door, make sure that you have 15 inches of overhead clearance. If you use your garage ceiling for storage, this may not be the best choice for you.
Pro And Cons Of Vertical Garage Door Openers
Overhead door openers are reliable, which is why they have been in use for many years. They do not break down easily and can serve you for a very long time with correct maintenance.
Easy To Repair
If your overhead door opener is damaged, you can quickly repair it using the tools you have at home. If you are not interested in a DIY project, you can hire a technician who will do it at a pocket-friendly price.
Easy To Install
Drives used in overhead doors are easy to install, and you can do it yourself.
Easy To Maintain
Good maintenance ensures the longevity of your garage door opener. Overhead doors are easy to maintain and, therefore, can serve your home for many years.
Modern overhead doors come with openers made with the latest technology, such as rolling codes, and are quiet compared to older models.
- Overhead garage openers take up space in your ceiling area which means you cannot use it for storage. If you are planning to install an overhead garage door opener, you will have to move your stuff.
- They are louder than side-mounted garage doors, especially without the right kind of maintenance. That makes them a wrong choice if your garage is under a bedroom.
- Dents will affect the overall functioning of the door, and it may stick before fully opening or closing.
Sliding Garage Door Openers
Sliding doors are not as common as overhead doors, but their popularity is increasing. When you install a horizontal garage door kit, it will not take up much space as it slides against the wall on rails. Siding garage doors are made of materials like steel and timber. They are highly secure, and you can purchase sliding garage doors at your local store.
Pro And Cons
- Horizontal sliding garage doors are made with different materials, including timber, and steel, which means you can find the perfect door for your garage.
- You can choose to have a two-piece or one-piece door that slides one way.
- You can install a horizontal sliding garage door on the inside or the outside of your house.
- There are no restrictions on the weight and height of the door when you choose a one-piece design. There are a variety of design options available to you that you can use.
- They help homeowners save on space, as mentioned above. You will have a lot of overhead space for storage purposes.
- These doors allow partial opening, which means you can quickly go back if you forget something in the house on your way to work. You do not have to open the entire door to pick a file, for instance.
- The tracks are secure and durable, so you can be sure that your door will not fall off or stop working suddenly.
- These doors can be made such that they bend around corners for those with medium to small garages.
- A side sliding garage door costs between 700 and 1500 dollars, making it more expensive than an overhead door.
- Whether metallic or wooden, during harsh weather conditions, they can be challenging to operate and maintain. That can put you at risk, for instance, during a storm, so it is essential to choose your door material carefully.
- The tracks require level ground, and if your garage is not perfectly flat, you will need to level it. That will result in increased costs.
- These doors are not weather-tight and are not a good choice if you live in a cold area.
You need to consider your garage’s size, requirements, and weather when choosing a garage door opener. An overhead door is an excellent choice if you are on a budget. Overhead doors are cost-effective and easier to install and use in harsh weather. A sliding door is an excellent choice if you use your garage space for storage or have a large truck or car. You can buy a horizontal garage door kit to help conserve space.
Check this too: Ryobi vs Dewalt vs Makita
There are many designs to choose from, and you can design it to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home and garage. Wooden doors, for instance, are a great choice if you have a cottage or contemporary-style house. If you are looking for a change, a sliding door will increase your storage options, is comfortable even for very tall people, and will serve you for a very long time.